Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dublin

So I went to Dublin. And it was amazing. I had so much fun. I was there four full days and was happy to find the flight only 40 minutes from London. I tried to explain to people that Dublin is like a small London-it still has the same old buildings and charm as London but on a much smaller scale. It is a lovely city. I did a lot in 4 days so get ready for a big post. But lots of pretty Dublin pictures that I hope you enjoy.

St. Patrick's Cathedral


Christ Church. My favorite architecturally-I love the Bridge of Sighs over the street.


O'Connell statue on O'Connelly Street. That's the Spire in the background.


Another view of the Spire. It's called the Spike by locals and apparently they don't like it very much. It was for the Millennium... and no other reason. It was just built to be apart of the new millennium. It is pretty cool lit up at night-and a good meeting place but holds no other purpose.



The River Liffey from the O'Connell Bridge. I thought the river was going to be like the Thames but it is smaller and definitely more peaceful.


The old Parliament building. I think it's offices now-I like the columns.


A tourist directions sign to all sorts of fun Dublin things :)


This city is full of great statues!


Trinity College. So gorgeous!


More of Trinity College


This is the playing fields of Trinity College.


I love this. It's a solar compactor! LSE needs these.


Walked from Trinity College to Merrion Square. A small little park but is very full of trees so it doesn't feel like you are right by a major street. Here is Oscar Wilde relaxing on a rock.


Inside of the Square. So pretty!


I visited this park on Saturday, my birthday, and sat in the peaceful park while listening to someone far away play guitar. I also enjoyed a brownie that I bought at the Temple Bar Food Market (where I also had a yummy crepe for lunch) and relaxed.



More of the pretty park. I visited A LOT of parks-Dublin has a lot of green spaces. It makes for a nice break while walking around and is lovely to sit and people watch.


So pretty!


A little bird.


Ok ok enough of this park. But I loved it!


Entrance to St. Stephen's Greens. This is the main park in the city of Dublin.


A small famine memorial in St. Stephen's Green.


loved loved loved this park. It had 2 little lakes and lots of people enjoying a Saturday afternoon.


Lovely little bridge!


pretty flowers.


More of the open space.


I know it seems like I spent most of the time sitting in parks but on Saturday I also visited Temple Bar Food Market and the National Gallery where I enjoyed all of the art. I walked down Grafton Street where there are lots of people and shops and music.


A little church on the corner.


Gorgeous church right? It's the Dublin Tourism Office now! I went in to book my day trip for Monday to the countryside-that post will have to be for another day, too many pictures!


The Famine Memorial. It's a bit further down the river but worth seeing. The faces are so life like and really show the struggle of the people during the famine.





A church across the River Liffey.


More view of the river Liffey-this one near the port of Dublin.


I love the street lamps- some of them have shamrocks around the top and it is so pretty to walk along the river at dusk.


The sun setting over the Liffey.


More views of the city-this is the O'Connell bridge.


Ha'penny Bridge! Because it used to have a half penny toll to cross. I love the design of this bridge.


And finally, for now, a picture of Ben and I at the house he was staying at in Greystones. We went to a cute little Italian restaurant for dessert on my birthday and then I met a bunch of people from his team and had fun talking and hanging out with them. It was a great birthday!



Dublin was so much fun! I will post more pictures from the day trip later but I had so much fun and can't believe how quickly the trip went. The river, bridges, buildings, and green spaces are all so beautiful and everyone is so friendly-much more so than in London I think. It was a great trip.

2 comments:

  1. What awesome pictures! I love the solar compactor!!!! Every time I look at your blog I want to travel.

    ReplyDelete