Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Lots of pictures!

I decided to walk my bus route home for a different view of London and some really pretty pictures.

This is the front of my school: It says London School of Economics above the columns:

This is St. Clement Dane's Church right next to my school. I just found out we use it for concerts and such, including an upcoming Christmas concert that I plan to go to, just to see the inside!

This is another church on the way home. I can't find the name of it but it is so pretty, and right in the middle of a weird roundabout at Aldwych:

Ice skating anyone? This is Somerset house and this Christmas tree and ice skating rink appeared earlier this week. It's so beautiful especially at night with it all lit up! There are apparently lots of ice skating rinks around London and I hope to visit more for some fun winter pictures.

Sometimes I take photos with my camera at my side just to see what I get. This is inside the courtyard of Somerset house and I thought it was a cool angle on the archway and cobblestone street.

Walking across Waterloo Bridge. This is looking east, with a pretty view of the Thames as well as Blackfriars Bridge which I usually take to walk home.

Looking west at Parliament and the London Eye.

Between the buildings just on the south side of Waterloo Bridge is a great shot of Parliament through the London Eye.

Waterloo Station. I love the architecture here, and the rest of the station is really modern. It's so pretty.

Another gorgeous church here in London. I can't recall the name but it has a great garden and the trees around it are lit up at night.

The Old Vic. A theatre in London just south of Waterloo.

A park across from The Old Vic with benches and a view of the Eye. It's a nice little park.

St. George's Circus. I don't know much about it but it's another crazy roundabout with a statue in the middle. I should read the statue at some point but I haven't yet.

A subway (underground walkway, not the tube) near Elephant & Castle. It's quite colourful!

Elephant & Castle is a popular shopping area near my dorm. There are lots of restaurants, a bowling alley, and a market. I haven't been around there yet but starting 1 December there will be a Christmas Market and I will definitely be visiting!



So that's an alternative way to walk home. I liked walking home this way, there isn't much of a time difference in the regular way I walk home and it was nice to see the familiar sites a little more closely rather than going by quickly on a bus. I hope to post some more pictures soon, including a trip to Borough Market and Tower Bridge this weekend.

While everyone at home is enjoying Thanksgiving I have class tomorrow! (and Friday for that matter.) It's a bit strange to have class but it shouldn't be too bad. There are a surprising number of places that celebrate Thanksgiving here, mostly for ex-pats I guess. One of the cafes on campus is doing a dinner tomorrow night too. My friend and I are planning to celebrate with a dinner Friday night at her flat. Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment