Saturday, January 12, 2013

A New Travel Site Begins!

I'm so excited about what my neglected blog is about to become. I lived in London for 10 months from September 2009-June 2010 and documented my adventure there. There were pictures, antidotes, and tips that made my stay full of adventure and fun. And this is where my idea began, to take what I learned in London and turn this blog into a place where people can get information on travel. There are hundreds of travel blogs but I think mine can hold its own. I love traveling and am so excited to share the things I know and learn with you!

As far as travel experience, when I was a Junior in college I studied abroad in Europe for 3 months. We didn't stay in one place, it was a moving program. We spent time in 7 countries, studied a few hours a day, and immersed ourselves in the different cultures. The program took us to England, France, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, and Greece. We also had the opportunity to travel on weekends and I got to see Scotland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Portugal, and Egypt. Fast forward 3 years and I spent 10 months in graduate school in London, England. I have also traveled randomly, not with school. I've actually been to more countries than states. I am constantly thinking about where I want to go next.

The cities and countries I have been to have given me knowledge and first hand experience about how fantastic traveling can be and I want to share that with you. I will use this blog to share the details of my personal journals from traveling (first tip right there! journal!) as well as photos. I will post country information and where I want to travel next. I will share tips and tricks, what works for me on short trips and extended stays. That includes buying tickets, packing (my favorite before-i-leave task) arranging transportation, what to see/do, and generally how to have a good time. Not everything I say may work for you but I hope to be a voice for those who love to travel. And I have come to travel a certain way. You probably won't see a lot of five star resorts and first class tickets. While I would do that if I could afford it (maybe) I believe it's about spending time getting to meet people and understand cultures. It's not first class flights that will help you learn a second language or five star resorts that make you feel like a local. It's wandering around the city center into a small neighborhood, letting yourself get lost, reading the local newspaper, starting a conversation. I'm a naturally shy person but when I'm traveling I seem to come out of my shell. I try to take each day as it comes, not plan every detail, let each day fall where it may and enjoy the journey.

After my adventures in school I've recently settled into a semi interesting 8-5 job. There's the catch. Wanting to travel but needing money, and alternatively, having a job for the money and no time to travel. I'm trying to find the best of both worlds. I just started a new job but I'm saving every penny for my next adventure. I will share it with you, the fun of travel and what it takes to get there. I hope you stay tuned for what I have to say. Even with every travel blog/website out there I know I have something to contribute, because I have traveled. Everyone gets something different out of it. It's fun (and important) to share those experiences, to relive each adventure, and to plan the next one. Let's go!


-Sarah

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. -St. Augustine


No comments:

Post a Comment