Thursday, May 6, 2010

Vote! (If only I could)

Just a quick update. Nothing too exciting going on here. After turning in essays I've been in revision sessions for the exams this week. I only have 52 days left which is totally surreal to me!

Today is the General Election. It's pretty cool to be here during an election season. I sat with a group of UK friends at lunch on Tuesday and got to learn all about the intricacies of the election process and who they were going to vote for. It was very fun to talk about politics and differences between the UK and the US. The campaign itself was so short! Our campaigns go on for almost a year (in which a ridiculous amount of money is spent) and it seems so long and drawn out-but here it's just been over a month, with it really only a big issue the last 3 weeks. It was exciting for the debates to happen too, I guess that's a new thing here. Politics isn't as polarized here as it is at home. At home, people are very passionate about one side or the other and it's basically a fight to the death but here there are more parties represented and they have only slightly different takes on various issues. Of course there are the crazies (ie BNP) and the ones I want to win (Go Labour!) but it's nothing like the issues or drama Democrats/Republicans have. It's been really fun to watch and listen and it's cool to see how another country handles changes in leadership.

After 3 hours of Methods revision I got lunch with Paige and we sat in Lincoln's Inn Fields and enjoyed the BEAUTIFUL weather. It felt like a spring day in California. The trees are blooming and there was a cool breeze. The sun was shining with blue sky. We sat for almost 2 hours and ate, and people watched, and talked... about everything. It was just a nice relaxing afternoon.

Pretty low key evening, no stress about revisions yet-I do have nearly a month before my first exam!. I have another class tomorrow and then hopefully a nice relaxing weekend with some sight seeing and lovely London weather. And hopefully pictures soon too!

No comments:

Post a Comment