Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sunday: Living Abroad

Here it is. The start of the first full week. No slacking now. I'm here to pass on my knowledge and wisdom. Haha more like help you learn from my mistakes.
Living abroad is tough. But it's definitely worth it. I just wanted to pass on a few differences.
A word about going through customs in the UK. Pick the right line. They get really mad if you don't. There is a specific sign for non uk residents. Even with a UK visa do not go in that line. They will seem gruff, look through your entire passport, and ask a dozen questions. But just be clear, honest, and know it will be over soon.
Ok back to my tips. I will probably have more as time goes on. And my experience is definitely Europe centric but these could work anywhere.

1. Everything is different. And I mean every thing. Even if you speak English and move to an English speaking country, or high number of English speakers, everything is different.
2. Take things slowly. If you are moving somewhere, even for a few months, there is an urge to take everything in at once. It's about the pace. When I first moved to London I wanted to see everything. And the first few weeks I did. But after I was tethered to going to school. Sight seeing became secondary. And I was so frustrated. I had papers to write, classes, research, etc. I was busy. But I took the time to prioritize. I wrote a list of the things I wanted to do, and planned the month. If a place was near school I went on Tuesdays. Otherwise it was one weekend day to study. And one to sight see. Or, more likely, drink a lot. Keep track of what you need to do, want to do, and make a schedule. It seems silly but it helps.
3. Similar to before. I made a list of what I wanted to see. And when I went there I would write down what day, time, favorite part. It was silly at first but I still have that paper and it brings back memories. This goes for museums, restaurants, parks, etc. I could see where I wanted to go again and what wasn't worth it.
4. Get a local phone. Even for a few weeks. I felt safer with a phone. Learn the emergency numbers. You will meet people you want to contact again. You can get directions. You can get apps. With a smart phone. I didn't have a smart phone but I had a limited plan with mostly texting and it had a built in radio. It was perfect. I could listen to local radio while I walked.
5. Take pictures. With your phone. It's always on you, you know it is. Not sight seeing pictures although those are important too. I took a picture of my street, the signs, the tube stop, everything near me. It helped when I was lost or needed to give a taxi driver my address. If I was walking somewhere new and saw a cute store that was closed I could take a pic and look it up later. I couldn't remember it all even if I wanted to but it was nice to keep track of things I wanted to do or look up later.
That's all for now. Except try to get an Internet connection as soon as possible. Internet cafes are only tolerable for so long. Make it part of your phone plan, share wireless with a neighbor, or sit at McDonalds for hours, just know once you get that situated everything will be so much easier. Well, first secure housing. Then wireless. Housing next week I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment