Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Good Day!

This is what I did today:
1. I walked to school only to find that the professor did not show up. So we spent some time discussing our paper that is due in January and then I went to get tea and chat with a friend.
2. Walked to the National Gallery and spent about 2 hours absorbed in art
3. Walked to Parliament Square and took some pictures
4. Ate at Prezzo and had a yummy calzone and wine
5. Went to Waterstone's. I could spend hours in bookstores (and did spend about an hour)
6. Went to Cafe Nero and had a yummy soy chai tea
7. Sat in the freezing cold to watch the Lighting Up Ceremony of the Christmas tree in Trafalgar Square
8. Today was a good day. I had so much fun.

This is the pre lit up picture. Also, it's a pic of it before it got too dark.

This is Trafalgar Square. There are pretty fountains, Nelson's column, the tree, and in the background, Parliament.

Found another Christmas tree! This one is inside a courtyard at Parliament. pretty.

This is the tree after it is all lit up! The ceremony was so fun. The Salvation Army played music and sang carols. The mayor of London did the introductions and the mayor of Oslo, Norway was the one to turn the lights on. Norway has been giving England a Christmas tree for Trafalgar Square for about 80 years, since England helped Norway during WW II, including providing a safe haven for Norwegians, many of whom stayed in London after the war. It was a really cool ceremony with lots of great Christmas music and a pretty tree!


Unfortunately, my camera battery died after about 2 pictures. I took a few more on my cell phone but it costs a lot to send them to my email to upload them. But I do have a cool shot of the tree lit up, with St Martin's in the Fields and a full moon. It's a great picture. It was so fun, although really cold, I am glad I went!

Tomorrow, class and a Christmas market! I am loving all of the Christmas Markets and want to visit them all before I leave! (While finishing some homework too of course.)

No comments:

Post a Comment