Monday, March 25, 2013

Sunday: Living Abroad

No one ever tells you how hard it is to live abroad. Even in an English speaking country. It's hard because EVERYTHING is different. No, really, EVERYTHING.

But of course I have to say that it's totally worth it, if you are considering it then GO. GO GO GO. I miss London every day and sometimes wish i could snap my fingers and be back, for a few hours or for good. I'm 99% sure I will live there again. I can't get enough. (I was named after two people in the British royalty for what it's worth---it's my destiny!)

My first day in London was....interesting.  I had been once before for 2 weeks. Therefore I felt confident I could find my way around the tube and luckily I am very good with directions. My mom came with me to move me into my new life in London, this was her first time. She stayed for 10 days. I already knew I wanted to stay in Earl's Court. I stayed in Ravenscourt Park the first time, and it was a good experience but residential and far from the city center. Earl's Court may be about the same distance but it has a fantastic High Street with lots of restaurants and shops. A perfect place to stay. TIP: look at a map of a hotel before you book to see how far from the metro it is. ALWAYS. It's ok in the middle of your trip but being in a foreign place and with luggage is a pain to walk and walk and walk. We stayed 3 blocks from the tube. On a major street with lots of bus lines. It was perfect. Because I was moving I had 4 giant suitcases. (I'm pretty proud of myself for getting everything I would need for at least a year in 4 suitcases; at that point the end of my stay was not decided yet.)

TIP: In London, only a few tube stations have elevators, most large ones have escalators, but there are TONS of stairs. TONS. Which is not great for carrying a lot of luggage. With me moving we ended up taking a cab from the airport to the hotel in Earl's Court. Yes, it was expensive, but completely possible unlike the tube would have been. Also, black cabs in London are great, there are two seats that sit face to face, perfect for lots of luggage (in the trunk/boot) and at your feet.

TIP:Cars drive on the left side of the road. You know BUT the signs on the ground say look left or look right. take them seriously. If you are from the US PLEASE LOOK. There are buses, cabs, cars, lots of people walking around. Wait until you get used to looking the correct way before taking off. It can be dangerous in highly populated tourist places like Piccadilly Circus.

As soon as we arrived at the hotel, checked in, and dropped our stuff we sat for a few minutes. Got acquainted with the room and the hotel. It was small but comfortable. Then, since I already had a meal in mind, we headed out. Taking our map with us. TIP: We walked up and down the high street once before we ate, it helps to know what's near you; restaurants, shops, doctors office, parks. We just gave it a quick up and down before ducking into Nando's for dinner. Ahhh Nando's. South African chicken. Definitely a cheap option in London, lots of locations, and DELICIOUS.

Since we had a late flight into London, we got in about 7pm, we mostly ate dinner, walked around, and headed back to the hotel. TIP; game plan. once you are fed, sit around and talk a little. NOW i'm SURE you have a game plan, but make a realistic one. are you really tired? do you want to go out that night? how about the next one? I spent the first three days looking for a place to live which was very stressful (despite my best efforts to find something before i left). So my game plan was more long term but get an idea of what you want to do the next day. So you can wake up and be ready to go.

TIP: go to bed local time. If you flew 9 hours from Seattle to London and don't sleep on planes very well like me, you will be tired. especially after also dragging luggage all over the city, walking a lot, and everything else those first few hours.If you get in at 9 pm, get settled and go to bed. however, if you get in at 10am, stay up all day and go to bed around 10pm. it may suck, it may seem like a long time, it may be exhausting but it will be worth it. FIRST, you won't lose the time spent in a new city sleeping and SECOND you will have an easier time adjusting to the time change. I'm great at adjusting forward to the new change (going East) for me it's hard to go back (West). but that's something i know and plan for. Jet lag can be a drag but here are simple tips (I will have more later): drink water or 7up, try to sleep or at least rest, and really try to get on a schedule when you get there.

I love talking about my time living in London and I hope my thoughts and tips are helpful for people thinking of living in England or abroad. I've got so much to say, check it out next Sunday too!

No comments:

Post a Comment