Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tuesday Travel Tip

Honestly I feel like I have so many tips from the places I've been and things I've learned that this section might be all over the place. I may talk about pre travel stuff, things that happen while you travel, or even at the end, in no particular order. They can all be accessed by the tags at the end to find all of them together. I feel like the topic for the day is about as specific as I want to get and it would be too complicated (and also I'm not a Type A personality AT ALL) to go from beginning to end in terms of everything you need to do and remember. So it's going to be a bit random but I hope you stay with me because I feel like I have good tips to offer.

Like today's tip: FREE WALKING TOURS

Seriously. This tip is specific to Europe (at least I think so) but it's invaluable. Completely worth it. Look around your hotel or hostels for info. go online. ask around. check out fliers are tourist places and/or internet cafes. You will find someone has posted something about this awesome experience. Walking tours are THE BEST. There's usually info on the flier about when/where they meet. it's pretty simple really. You just have to show up. I've gone when there is only a group of five and then I've been on them when you have to pick another time to meet because there is a huge group waiting and lots of tour guides. They are the best way to dive right into a city. It's a first or second day activity. It drops you right into the middle of the city, with someone who knows the city, and gives you first hand look. It can be a great opportunity to meet people, give you an idea of where you want to go later, and ALSO a sense of direction in a new place. I find that to be really important. I'm not going to sit at a street corner with a map, I'm going to try to look like a local. And while the tour itself is a little "touristy" and you may stick out a bit, it's a good chance to retrace your steps with a sense of familiarity.

Every single guide I've had during a walking tour is totally awesome. They are friendly, full of information, and easy to talk to. They have a script that they've memorized but it doesn't come off as boring or rehearsed. They walk all over the city and may know a pub nearby you should check out, or a day for discounts at a museum. They like when you ask questions. It's more of a conversation than a tour. Most of the guides have been really funny and genuinely interested in giving you a glimpse of the city.

It's a good opportunity to get a feel for a city. You don't have to stay with them the whole time, you can wander off into a market or park. It's nice to know that the tour is always there to join later in the afternoon or the next day. There are always so many ways to see a city but mostly, for a lot of tourists, it's big buses with no roof and a guy with a microphone. Don't get me wrong, those are fine, I've taken many of those. But you can get the same info with a guidebook, a free walking tour, and an afternoon to wander around a city.

So. Take the free walking tours. Get to know the city you are in. Talk to a local. See the big sites before finding out the stuff you really want to see or revisit. AND tip the travel guide. Because they have one of the coolest jobs in the world (big city, no cubicle) and if you liked the tour then you want other people to have an awesome experience too.

No comments:

Post a Comment