Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thursday: saving money

This post is applicable to my life RIGHT NOW. as I am currently in Boston for 5 days. I arrived early this morning and even tired from the red eye I am having a great time. The city is cold and feels like an older Seattle. I compare everywhere to Seattle, Los Angeles, and London where I have lived.
The airport is perfectly laid out and even with little sleep I wasn't confused on where to go. One of my favorite things about the metro and Charlie ticket is that when you swipe into the metro IT TELLS YOU YOUR CARD BALANCE. this is nothing short of genius. Oh, only $1 great, I can reload before I get on again. No need to get denied and all that awkwardness. It's perfect.
Ok Thursday. Saving money. I'm actually using this tip while on this trip so get ready!!! TIP: Splurge on one decent/nice meal a day. Keep the other 2 simple. Seriously. That's it.
When I was studying in Europe we had "family dinner" every Wednesday night and that was probably the only real sit down meal most of us had that week. It's expensive eating out all the time! And staying in a hostel has a kitchen so you ca cook but that's not practical in a hotel. My friends and I were NOTORIOUS for taking advantage of the free continental breakfast. As in, eat a lot of free breakfast and then go back for more and stuff it in your bag for lunch. Usually, in Europe, this meant cereal and yogurt for breakfast. And then grabbing a roll or two, meat and cheese (a staple European breakfast buffet) and making a couple sandwiches. They would be eaten later, while we were out, a little squished but FREE.
That's essentially what I'm doing here. I have a continental breakfast. I'm not hoarding food for later though. I will however grab a cheap sandwich, granola bar, or bread and cheese from the store for a meal that day. Just barely a few bucks. And then a meal that day be at a cafe or restaurant or market stand you have really wanted to try or that sounds really good.
TIP: I also really try to use my meal out for something I wouldn't normally get. Or something I couldn't make at home very easily or have ever tried before. ESPECIALLY if it's local to where you are. You can hardly go wrong there. That's why they are specialties!
So today, I had some free stuff on the plane, I went out to lunch, and will probably have a granola bar ( I packed a few) or something simple and cheap for dinner. And it will be a good reasonable healthy and cheap way to eat.


Also. I'm going to rave about where I had lunch today. It's in Salem, MA on the corner of Washington & Essex. It's called Gulu-Gulu Cafe. I had déjà vu at the corner when I saw it. I get déjà vu a lot but I knew it was a sign. I walked in, sat at the counter, and stayed for almost 2 hours. Don't worry I tipped well haha first they have a ton of fancy and unique beers and drinks. I ordered a cranberry iced tea that was delicious. Then after going over the entire menu I chose the Barcelona panini. It was smoked turkey, some fancy cheese I can't remember, spinach, apple butter and Dijon mustard. I chose it bc I wouldn't make it at home and it sounded unique for sure. IT WAS SO GOOD. I almost died. Amazing. It came with a little salad and potato chips too. And bc it was warm and cozy, with an INCREDIBLY friendly staff, and I had a fav book on my kindle I hung around over one of their specialty coffees: white chocolate raspberry latte. OMG. HEAVEN IN YOUR MOUTH.
If you visit Salem or live there TRY the Gulu-Gulu cafe. You won't be disappointed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment