Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thursday 24 September

Long but very fun day.
It started with a trip to LSE to register and pick up my ID card. I also got some info on the school and a cool canvas LSE bag. I met some people in the hour and a half line to register. They were very nice and one girl is in my department. It was fun to see the campus. I am excited for Orientation on Tuesday!
After LSE we went to the Tower of London. I was so excited to go because I have never been before. The Crown Jewels were GORGEOUS and I am constantly blown away by the amount of history that can exist in one city. The U.S. just does not have buildings that were around in the 13th century! I love it!

Tower Bridge as seen from Bloody Tower:

This is the building the Crown Jewels were in. I love the guards.

One of the ravens. Their wings are clipped so they cannot leave the Tower of London. It's part of myth that says if the ravens leave then the kingdom will fall.

This is the Queen's house. It is (I think) the only original building of that design and style because the rest burned in the Great Fire of London.

Walking along the inner wall. Such a beautiful day! I can't believe all of this sunshine!

White tower. There was a really interesting exhibit about Henry VIII and his life, activities, armour, and tons more information about him.




After the Tower of London we went back to the hotel to get ready to go see Les Miserables!!! I had seen it before but mom hadn't. I swear, the 2nd time was even better! I love the play so much and so did mom. I'm so glad she got to see it. It is so great.
When we left the theater we went to TGI Friday's for dinner. I must be already used to life in London because I actually complained that the music was too loud! It is so "American" in there with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mick Jagger, and Avril Lavigne blasting throughout our meal. It was actually nice to step back out on the surprisingly quieter street of Picadilly Circus.

It's almost 1am and tomorrow is a busy day of cramming everything in that mom wants to do before she leaves Saturday. This includes but is not limited to: St. Pauls' Cathedral (inside), Westminster Abbey (inside), Buckingham Palace (outside only), Kensington Palace (outside only), British Museum, lunch in the crypt of St. Martin's in the Field and of course, souvenir shopping!

1 comment:

  1. This pictures in this post remind me so much of when my mom and I went to London in 1997. We had so much fun and one of the things I vividly remember is walking along the inner wall. I'm so glad your mom got to be there with you this week!

    ReplyDelete