Monday, November 16, 2009

The Elusive Black Beans

I can honestly say that since I have arrived in London I have not had black beans. This is directly opposite to living in Southern California. With or without Chipotle, black beans are usually in the cabinet for taco salads or whatever.
But not here. I could find black beans anywhere.
There are 2 big grocery stores by me: Tesco's and LiDL's. There are also 3 smaller grocery stores: Tesco Express, Sainsbury's Local, and Costcutter's. That's 5 grocery stores in total.
none of them carry black beans!

Not only are black beans impossible to find but beans in general. I have had to ask at a couple places and have been directed to a small shelf holding a few cans of baked beans. not the same thing! The closest I have found is a can of refried beans. Along this search I have also found some garbanzo beans and kidney beans. Also near this section at LiDL's is a can of "American hot dogs" 8 hot dogs in a can. It looked gross on the outside, I can't imagine what that looks like inside. gross.

So I decided to branch out and try a place I knew was guaranteed to find black beans. WHOLE FOODS. This required taking the tube to find black beans.

BUT I was successful. I finally have a can of black beans in my cabinet (organic no less... and actually 2 cans because I have no idea when I will be back to Whole Foods)


Today wasn't just a trip to Whole Foods but to Oxford Street in general to see the Christmas decorations up. It's pretty. It was cold today too, definitely feels like the holidays are coming. I also happened to pass a Mac store and went in to ask about the battery on my computer. Apparently the batteries are compatible but I'd rather wait until I get to the states so I don't have to pay in GBP. If the computer will last long enough.

Oh, another thing worth mentioning-today marks Month 2 in London. I feel like this month has gone by so fast-especially November. I can't believe the month is halfway over. I have been so busy with classes and reading and doing social stuff with new friends, museums, etc. I have been enjoying it here.

26 days until I come home! that's crazy. I have a lot to do before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment