Friday, November 13, 2009

My poor neglected blog

At least this week I have a legitimate reason for not blogging. I had a big presentation due today that ended up taking about 10 hours to prepare with my partner and also the hours I spent researching and reading on my own. It was quite time consuming. For those who were wondering it was on the the breakdown of the traditional family, and considering what a family looks like today and whether a nuclear family ever existed and what the changes in society mean for the evolution of a family.

One good thing about the presentation was getting to know Laura, she is in my program and we now officially know the downstairs lounge of the Garrick (campus cafe) quite well. It's really the only place to get work done around campus that's quiet and has comfy seating. Laura has grown up in London and we had some really interesting discussions about the differences between the US and the UK. Namely student loans, international travel, and the biggest one- healthcare. It was so interesting to talk to someone who cannot comprehend the idea of not getting medical care when it is needed. This applies to me while I am in the UK and I can see how it would be so much of a relief to know that if you got sick or hurt there is care for you. That you don't have to wake up every day wondering how to pay for prescriptions or avoiding a doctor because of the bills. We agreed that capitalism has gone to far in many ways but especially when it takes away a basic human right like healthcare. People make money while other people suffer. This is not right. The US needs good comprehensive universal healthcare.

Besides the presentation this week was full of the regular reading and other school activities. I was a part of another group doing a questionnaire for Methods which will turn into a 2,500 word essay in about 2 weeks. I am definitely getting busier with homework. I went to a Feminist Society Social on Wednesday which was fun. I got to meet a lot of people in the Society and we had a good time. No plans this weekend yet but maybe a market or something fun to relax and get to see a different part of London. I want to keep doing touristy things while I am here so I have a good knowledge of the city and have experienced everything I wanted to before I leave.



No comments:

Post a Comment