Friday, October 9, 2009

4 days til class again

Today I had class. It was Gender & Societies. It is AMAZING! The professor is from England and she is funny and interesting and the class felt like it lasted 10 minutes but it had been 2 hours. She teaches a course in the next term too and I might take it. We talked a lot about ideas of gender and how much impact culture and society has on a person. Then we looked through a magazine and talked about the different representations of gender, and especially toward women. It was really good.

I walked TO and FROM school today which was fun. Except it rained this afternoon. Which was not fun. I also had lunch with a new friend, Paige, who is an Msc Sociology student too. She is really nice and we had fun hanging out and getting to know each other.

I also joined a Society. There are like 100 Socieities (clubs) on campus and they are quite varied and all sound interesting. I went to the Feminist Society today :) I'm thinking about joining a few others. I had so much fun at this one.

For those of you that know me pretty well, you know that I have weird dreams sometimes. And sometimes those dreams can be about things that actually happen in the future. Now, they aren't great elaborate dreams about my future, or someone else's future, or to give me some great spiritual wisdom (although that would be nice), but they are usually about a place or a person or some flash of scenery or something. And usually after I wake up, I forget about them and don't go back to them. And then there are those occasions when they come up again. Except not in a dream, in real life. I actually stand in the place where I saw that dream take place however long ago it was. This happened several times on VESPA. At first it's a deja vu feeling, like I have been there before. But it's more than deja vu, it's from my dreams. This happened today. I was in the LSE Garrick, which is this cafe on campus, and I was having tea with Paige and as we were leaving to go to our Feminist Sociology meeting I was walking toward the door and it hit me. That I had been here before, but in a dream. I disctinctly remember the long metal cabinets, the wooden tables and chairs, and the light green decorations that accent the walls, leading toward the metal double doors and onto Houghton Street. It was EXACTLY from my dream. These moments are not exactly rare for me but they definitely still throw me for a loop. Because I KNOW I have never been in the Garrick before (just like all of the other times) and yet I had. It's funny because it never really freaks me out, it almost calms me. A few times that it happened on VESPA it had happened after I had been really feeling homesick or stressed and that would happen and it was a kind of feeling like, "oh, i'm supposed to be here right now. This is what I wanted. This is what I need to keep doing." It's almost reassuring in it's presence. And today it was like that again. I felt comforted knowing that even though this was unfamiliar territory for me, I had somehow been there before. And that I am supposed to be here, because this is what I want and need to keep doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment