Tuesday, October 6, 2009

First Day Of Class

So today was the first day of classes for me. I went to Contemporary Social Thought. It was really good. What I like about LSE is that you can kind of "shop" around for your classes. I don't actually have to have a finalized schedule until October 19. So I have 2 weeks to go to as many different classes as I want to figure out which ones I really want to take. I'm going to a couple this week that I probably won't take but I just want to see what they are about and meet the professors. I really liked today's class though. The professor is a Foucault expert and had some really good and interesting things to say.

I'm beginning to get to know the people in my program better too which is good. I talked with this girl Ilaria for a long time. She is so sweet. We had a lot of fun talking today. And we went to the Garrick, which is one of the cafes on campus and had tea. We sat with a bunch of other Sociology students and just talked about classes, professors, and life in general. It was really fun. Everyone seems so nice.

I decided that I didn't want to take the bus or tube home tonight and so I walked! It was a perfect evening for walking, it was kind of cold with a bit of a breeze,but not too cold. And no rain, which is good. It's been raining on and off the last couple of days. It's exactly 2 miles home and it took me like 50 minutes, mostly because I walked slowly through some parts of town just looking around. I mean, I walked past The Royal Courts of Justice, St Pauls' Cathedral, over the Millenium Bridge, Globe Theatre and caught glimpses of the Eye and Tower Bridge. I couldn't walk fast! It was really good though I think I might do it more often than I take transportation. Although knowing me I will have to take the bus or tube in the morning because I will be runnig late. :) But maybe on the way home every day.

Tomorrow I am going to a class called Cultural Theory. I'm not sure I will take it but I want to see what it is about, it sounds really interesting. I might end up switching, who knows. Also, I need to keep working on that to-do list. There are just so many things I need to do to get settled here. I'm planning on getting a cell phone tomorrow and printing off my Enrollment Verification so I can get a bunch of things done. It's so time consuming! I did get an email from someone from Hillsong London which is exciting and hopefully I can get into a Connect Group in the next couple of weeks.

Also, the internet is out in my room again. I hope they get it fixed soon. I hate that it comes and goes. I want to be able to video chat with people soon. I will keep you all posted.

It's almost midnight. I should probably go to bed. Night!

3 comments:

  1. wow what a full day. i can't believe you are seeing that stuff everyday and that i saw it too. cool. sounds like you are finding your way and meeting people, that's so great.
    love you much
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad would have been excited about the Foucault expert. He used him in his classes. I had to read some in my masters classes too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah it was a really interesting lecture. He won't be teaching the whole course, they are bringing in various professors to talk on a lot of different subjects which I kind of like. It will be a good class, I'm still kind of shopping around though, not sure 100% what i'm going to take. I did like his lecture though.

    ReplyDelete